4.28.2009

Glowing Cats 2: Glowing Dogs

In what is fast becoming a South Korean Renaissance, South Korean scientists have now cloned glowing dogs.

Now you see me...
Now you still see me.

You may remember a very similar story from about a year and a half ago in which South Korean scientists cloned glowing cats.

The glowing cats were a surprise. It was surprising that there was a scientific endeavor to make animals glow in the dark. It was surprising that it worked. It was surprising that they were cloned. It was surprising that it happened in South Korea.

The glowing dogs are not nearly as interesting. And I hate cats. Honestly, dogs are supposed to be way cooler, and I just can't get excited about this. The dogs don't even glow very brightly. If they fought in the dark, the cats would totally lose because they'd be way more visible.

I can't say this glowing dogs move was predictable, though. I mean, I think that once you clone glowing cats, you'd pretty much call it a day on the cloning of animals that glow. I'm sure there are people out there who, after cloning their first glowing animal, would say, "Now I need to make them all glow!" But I figured none of those people would actually be scientists.

The news story claims that these dogs were cloned with "techniques that could help develop cures for human diseases." If this were actually true, these scientists would have started on those cures after the glowing cats thing worked out. This was all about the glowing animals.

Perhaps less predictable than all of this, though, is that my blog is gradually becoming South-Korea-themed.

No comments: