3.27.2009

Honey

Hey, anybody remember the 19__ sequel to Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, Honey, I Blew Up the Kid? Someone reminded me of it last weekend, and I'm still really upset about how misleading that title is.

Seriously, how hard would it have been to call it, Honey, I Enlarged the Kid or, Honey, the Kid Got a Lot Bigger Somehow, and It's Probably My Fault? Did no one at Disney realize that title might be a problem, or did they really just think that "Blew Up" was probably the best they could do?

When the movie first came out, I remember being really excited about the explosion that was sure to take place. (I have no idea why I was excited about seeing an exploding child; it's probably just that explosions are cool.) This sequel was definitely be better, if only because of the promise that things would blow up.

Now that I know a little bit more about movies, though, I'm pretty sure one where Rick Moranis explodes his child would be VERY boring. The first 20 minutes establish some kind of emotional connection with the characters, then the kid explodes somehow, and the rest of the movie is just about grief interspersed with a few scenes of marriage counseling. And I'm pretty sure that movie sucked when it was called Titanic.

On a side note, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids was a misleading title as well. I think the kids shrunk themselves. Rick Moranis totally didn't need to take responsibility for that. Rather, it should have been called, Honey, Our Idiot Kids Shrunk Themselves, So Be Careful about Mowing the Lawn.

2 comments:

Ted said...

Enjoying having you back on here.

Tarun Kumar said...

Nice Article. Keep it up. But I think this is copy of your topic recycling process