7.10.2008

Only Books and Art Museums From Now On

Today, thanks to a good friend of mine, I'm considering giving up all television and movies (and some internet) for a period of 40 days. Who knows, maybe we'll stretch that out into forever. I'm so unpredictable. You never know what I'll quit and for how long.

This may seem like a horrifying and even life-threatening idea to some of you (and I'm not just talking about the Blogulator), and I can't blame you. After all, television and film represent the best of what our culture has to offer...some of the time. You may ask, what more could there be to life beyond these media? Here's what I expect to find or learn more about in my entertainment fast:
-friendship
-God
-tacos

While I considered turning this blog into a periodic journal of my televisionless life, I decided that would be boring and lame. So I present to you a sampling of what my journal may possibly look like, should I decide to do one at all, and if I would ever have posted it.

Day Four: Doing OK. Life's not that much different. I learned about the cheese chemistry in chicken tacos today, but I still don't think I'll eat chicken tacos. Somebody once asked me if I wanted a turkey taco. What were they thinking? Of course not! So I said no, and they threw it at my car.

Day Ten: Remember that episode of The Simpsons when Homer imagines his life in the woods like Thoreau? He's sitting at a lake, and he writes in his journal, "I wish I brought a TV. Oh God how I miss TV!" I don't think I laughed at that moment. It wasn't that funny. Or when he was like, "No TV and no beer make Homer something something." I guess it's not as funny when I write it down.

Day Twenty: Tried to discover the cure for AIDS today. No luck. I thought since I wasn't wasting my time in entertainment I'd have a better chance. Turns out I need to be a scientitian or something. I forget what they're called. Maybe I'll look into that whole science thing and give it another shot tomorrow.

Day Thirty-three: The government's trying to get me. I saw a white van parked outside, and I know it's them. I better slash their tires and go to Canada. Before it's too late.

Day Thirty-five: Canada is not nearly as bad as TV always said it was. I get to spend the whole day dancing in the forest and talking to the trees. One of them is pretty cute. I might ask her to marry me. I know it might seem like I'm moving too fast, but marrying a Canadian will also get the US government off my tail. Do trees count as Canadian citizens?

No comments: