4.01.2008

Cooking with Plates

Yesterday I had another one of my culinary misadventures. (See "Hamburger un-Helper) And to prove that I can't handle any kind of meat, this time I screwed up chicken.

In my opinion, it's really debatable that I did anything wrong, so I don't believe I actually screwed anything up, but still, it tasted funny. Like I'll-probably-get-cancer funny.

So here's the story. I had a chicken breast to fry up, and normally I'd use the George Foreman to get the double-sided heating action. But since somebody decided to put the Foreman away without cleaning it, I decided to just pan-fry it. Had I gone the non-lazy route and cleaned the Foreman, maybe...um, well, I don't know what would have happened because that scenario is practically unimaginable.

So I throw the chicken breast on the pan. But this is a thick chicken breast, and I know it's going to take a long time to cook if I have to flip it over every few minutes. I needed something to keep the heat in. Utilitarian that I occasionally prove to be, I decided to cover my chicken with the plate that I just defrosted it on.

A few minutes later, the following phone conversation occurred:

BEN: Hey Rob, I'm about halfway through making dinner, so I think I'm gonna be a little late to hang out tonight. How does 7:30 work for you?
ROB: Well, the Dunn Brothers closes at 9.
BEN: Then I guess I could get there a little earlier.
ROB: Actually, 7:30 works a little better for me.
BEN: Haha, OK.
ROB: You're still willing to brave this weather?
BEN: What the heck is going on here.
ROB: What?
BEN: I think I'm burning my plate. Gotta go.

Poor Rob. He had no idea what I was talking about.

I pulled the plate off the chicken, and it had turned golden brown around the edges. I tried to rinse it off, and I thought I did a pretty good job, so I figured it wouldn't be a problem. But it definitely did not taste right. Something about cooking with plates, I suppose, makes your food taste ceramicky.

There's a bright side: I have enough leftovers from this to last me at least another two meals.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah yes, Hamburger Un-Helper. Judging from my comment, I was a much more cruel person on February 17, 2004 than I am today, April 1, 2008. Ah, blog-related memories.

Anonymous said...

I've read that Hamburger Un-helper entry like a dozen times now, and I'm still always taken aback when I happen upon the words "gravy boat"