4.18.2008

One-Year Anniversary

Today (or technically yesterday, if you really want to split hairs) is the one-year anniversary of my last car accident. Many of you know that in that car accident, I lost my driver's door handle, so I could no longer enter my car on the proper side. And many of you also know that a few months later, the whole driver's door opening mechanism stopped working, so I could no longer exit my car on the proper side either. Just as many of you know that I have done absolutely nothing to fix my car since that accident.

That means it's been a whole year now of getting in and out of my car through the passenger door. In addition, it's been a whole year of not being able to roll up my window all the way, and it's been a whole year of not being able to use my driver's side rearview mirror.

On the bright side, though, it's been a year in which I saved around $300 by not buying a new door.

Some people have suggested that I do something to fix it. What if, say, there was a fire on the passenger side of my car? How would I get out then? To which I respond, I would rather die than pay $300 to get a new door.

My current plan is to wait for someone to crash into my car, cash in on the insurance, and then get a new door. That, my friends, is not insurance fraud. It's patient insurance expectance. And unfortunately it's the best I can do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I would rather die than pay $300 to get a new door" is officially my favorite quote ever.

Ted said...

Next big rain you should cruise up and down 35W just south of the city. That stretch of road during a rain storm and construction... you would totally get sideswiped.

Jes GIlman said...

"I would rather die than pay $300 to get a new door"

In many countries, $300 would make you prince. I like your global perspective here.