3.18.2008

A Time to Blog

Somewhere between 1-2 hours of my work day is wasted on the internet. Usually I don't really notice because it's not like it's intellectually engaging or anything. But today I spent a half hour of that internet time reading Barack Obama's latest speech (which was kindly posted in its entirety on Adam's site).

Did you notice that I said it took me a half hour to read it? It was a really long speech. And he'd probably take longer reading it out loud because of all those pauses politicians like to take. Pump that thing full of commercials and you've got a miniseries.

I miss the days of Abraham Lincoln, or I would had I been alive to experience them in the first place, when the speeches were short and the presidents were of abnormally high quality, but most importantly the speeches were short. I could have read the Gettysburg Address at least 10 times--ten!--in the time it took me read Barack's Declaration of Hope.

From now on, I'm voting on the "sit down, shut up" platform.

2 comments:

chris said...

That's funny, because I was actually thinking the opposite when we watched a piece of a reenactment of one of the famous Lincoln-Douglas debate speeches in Debate class this week...

http://www.nps.gov/archive/liho/debate2.htm

He talks forever!

Jes GIlman said...

Really? I'm voting on the "shut-down, sit-up" platform.