6.17.2008

The Road

I know I haven't told many of you yet, but I'm planning a cross-country road trip. I'll hitchhiking around the whole country for the rest of the summer. Why? No reason. It's not like I'm running from the law or anything...yet.

Better watch out for that paved surface. It'll getcha.

Here's the route: I'm heading down south to Houston, west to San Diego, north to Seattle, then I'm going to try to score a boat trip through the Panama Canal to take me to Miami, and then north to Boston, and back west to Minneapolis. The boat part was so I wouldn't have to go through Iowa twice, which would have been really poor planning.

Now a trip like this generally isn't the most safe, so I'll go over a safety FAQ to set your worries at rest.

Where will you be staying?
I have a friend in Arizona, I think. Other than that, I'll be mostly sleeping in caves.

What will you do for food?
That's not even close to a real question.

What if you get attacked by bears?
I don't even think I need to prepare for this scenario. The bears will undoubtedly love me and accept me as one of their own.

Did you know hitchhiking's illegal?
Did you know that you're a liar?

Have you ever seen Milo & Otis?
Yes, and that's actually part of my inspiration for this trip. I'm hoping I'll meet a traveling companion and we'll have kittens together.

What's your favorite part of Milo & Otis?
Can you really have a favorite part of that movie? It's all so good.


Give me a call if you wanna meet up in Nebraska or something. Except that I probably won't ever be in Nebraska. Give me a call anyways and I'll see what my hitchhiking can do.

4 comments:

Jes GIlman said...

Actually, hitch-hiking is illegal in 13 states.

Anonymous said...

I had the Milo & Otis theme song stuck in my head this morning - thanks a lot! Ask me some time and I'll sing it for you.

Unspar! said...

Jon--for some reason, you mentioning the Milo & Otis theme song got the Reading Rainbow theme song in my head. Weird.

Dharma said...

you ought to post road reports during your trip on Digihtch so all us hitchers can pick up some info