5.19.2006

Lessons Learned from James Joyce: EXTREME

Some of you scholars may recall Stephen Dedalus' enthusiastic conversion in Chapter 4 (I think) of A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. In this chapter (or perhaps the chapter preceding) Stephen devotes himself to the debasement of his senses as a way to bring himself closer to God. Of course, he abandoned that lifestyle in the following chapter, but that's beside the point.

So, in my unceasing effort to imitate James Joyce, I may take up this endeavor as Joyce's hero once did. Not the sticking my face in cow poo or submitting myself to atonal and jarring sounds, though. I'm not going to take it that far. Really, I think the farthest I'll go is eating rice for every other meal. Maybe even every meal. I love rice.

1 comment:

al said...

beeeeeen! who is this joyce character? is rice a sacrifice? i certainly think so. after all, it ryhmes.

you are an entertaining lad.