3.03.2006

Sandwich

At lunch today I had a conversation with a coworker that lasted nearly a half an hour about how the sandwich is a lunch-only food. She believed sandwiches were OK for dinner, I adamantly argued the opposite. It was one of the best conversations I ever had.

Most of the time was spent discussing which sandwiches may qualify for dinnertime. We came to the following conclusions:

-The warmer the meat, the more likely it would be OK to have that sandwich for dinner.

-If a sandwich has melted cheese, it is even more likely to be OK for dinner than if it was meat alone.

-Hamburgers and sloppy joes are not sandwiches because the bread is referred to as a "bun."

If you're interested to know why I can't have sandwiches for dinner, it's because it just feels wrong. It's wrong for the same reason the phrase "I eats" is wrong, or for the same reason not wearing green on St. Patrick's Day is wrong, or for the same reason murder is wrong.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you would probably never eat subway for dinner, but quiznos would be okay (although, Subway does toast now too)?

I just had a sandwich for dinner last night. It was a fried egg with bacon sandwich, but a sandwich nonetheless.

What if the sandwich is paired with soup--is it more acceptable for dinner?

Unspar! said...

We actually discussed Subway, and you're right, it's not an option for dinner. Quizno's would work, and I have done Potbelly for dinner.

We also discussed the soup possibility, and I said that most soups are not a dinner option in themselves. Since the soup and sandwich combination is also generally a lunch meal, I think I'd be uncomfortable having it for dinner.

Bacon and egg sandwich, huh? You're combining breakfast AND lunch for dinner. If I was a robot, my head would explode.