10.22.2007

Communist Subconscious

Last night I had another one of the weirdest dreams. I dreamt that I went to some really modern hotel with a host of friends. It seemed like a great place, what with an enormous lobby, a fountain, those see-through glass elevators, and five floors. So I got on the elevator and decided to take it to the top to see how great the view would be from five stories above the earth. Unfortunately, some old people got on and rode the elevator to the second floor. If they weren't so enfeebled, there would have been no excuse for taking the elevator up one floor.

Weird thing about going up to the top floor, though, is that on the way there, everything starts turning around a lot and you end up feeling like you're in the basement. You also apparently travel to another dimension where the United States was conquered by Cold War Russia and is now a bitter communist state. Thankfully the hotel accommodates for this inter-dimensional travel very well, offering a small museum to detail American communism. Thanks to its exhibits about the Battle of the Colorado River and a map showing America's communist zones (the "Russian Zone," which consisted of everything north of Missouri and the entire east coast, and then "Mostly Birds," which consisted of the rest), my friends and I were able to adjust to the transition.

One thing I learned from this dream: communism SUCKS. The hotel staff under communism was rude and authoritarian, the game room was more like a torture chamber or a way to acquire exotic diseases, and the elevators were so narrow that I could barely fit in! And it's a lot worse when you're expecting a weekend in a really luxurious hotel.

Thankfully I eventually switched to another dream about de-painting my childhood home.

No comments: