10.15.2007

Laughter Part II: The Return of the Laughter

Two words: retirement over.

Yes, like several pro athletes well past their prime, I am returning to what once won me the love and respect of my peers, hoping to lead my team to a championship. The past and its numerous failures are behind us, and before us lies a bright future littered with trophies and medals and free shoes. This, my friends, is the beginning of the golden age. Or at least the bronze age.

If only coming out of retirement was actually that good. In this world where there are more blogs than human beings, my un-retirement heralds something more like that feeling you get before you yawn.

Why am I coming back? Because blogging is fun. I think.

Why am I not a hypocrite for coming back? Good question. You may recall that when I quit, I cited some verse about being crucified with Christ. The thing about being crucified with Christ, I now realize seven months after using that to support quitting, is that it also means you're raised to new life with him. So really, my return was inevitable, and we all should have known better than to trust me.

Here's to new life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOOOORAY!!!!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I hope your unretirement is more successful than Roger Clemens's latest was.

Jon said...

I'm hoping this is closer to Michael Jordan's first un-retirement than his second.

Anonymous said...

Same reaction as Christine!

Anonymous said...

Ben, I'm glad to see you're back. However, I feel I must remind you that most athletes who return well past their prime, fade out in a blaze of, well, shame. Check out this picture of Michael Jordan during his third comeback in 2002:

http://www.yorkblog.com/photos/colston.jpg

-Lee