10.30.2007

The Great Pumpkin Carve '07: Massive Disappointment

Halloween. A time for dressing up like a princess. A time for candy. A time for egging houses. A time for pumpkin carving. But most importantly, a time for candy.

This year my company decided to have a pumpkin carving competition. Thanks to the company placing about 75% of the staff on sudden-death probation, most of my coworkers weren't available to participate. That left apparently seven people to represent the most creative of what this company has to offer. We ended up with six traditional jack-o-lanterns and one haunted house. I'm pretty sure the haunted house is going to be disqualified for not toeing the corporate line.

To prove that our workforce isn't made up entirely of the same brand of robots, a couple people added accessories to their pumpkins. One pumpkin had red hair, which was not in pigtails and therefore was not meant to be Pippi Longstocking. The other pumpkin had horns. I assume that this was meant to resemble a devil, but it looked more like a goat.

Here's my question(s). Is this really the best that anyone could come up with? If you're going to enter a pumpkin carving contest, shouldn't you try to win? Or try anything at all? I mean, come on! Regular jack-o-lanterns? That's it? As if I wasn't already embarrassed to work here. Just...come on!

There's only one real winner in this competion. And that is the life-size pirate mannequin that somebody bought (with company money, I hope) to stand by the pumpkins. Whoever made that call is brilliant. Here's hoping they just throw it in the garbage cuz then I'll be coming home with a pirate mannequin tomorrow.

No comments: