2.24.2006

Best Sentence of 2005

McSweeney's is organizing a "contest" for people to submit what they consider the Best Sentences of 2005 to be included in a short story anthology of the year. Thankfully for us losers, blogs are eligible sources. Here's a list of sentences I'm considering nominating, but feel free to submit your own as well (the email to send them to is banrr@mcsweeneys.net--be sure to include medium, author's name, and date published).

They're not all by me.

“O, to be a chocolate man, to dance gaily through the land, and to be all made of chocolate.”

“Cutting off someone's conversation with a cancer patient so that we can go to a book store is insensitive but OK.”

“I would rather be a railroad conductor than a vampire.”

“Man has never more desperately needed flying cars.”

“I am invincible to melting.”

“Somebody call the Wham!bulance.”

“I beseech thee, o vile midterm: surrender thyself to this lazy student's whim, and find greater honor in thy resignation than in my demise.”

“His voice carried with it such a shrill, almost despairing tone that may lead one to suspect not even he believed a rabbit was capable of exiting the silly hat.”

“At church today I saw a family with 8 kids, and all I could think was how I could never remember that many names.”

“I will be accompanying this groundbreaking point of my life with a Jack's supreme pizza.”

“I know I said cream cheese was the nectar of the gods, but I might have been wrong.”

1 comment:

Unspar! said...

I'm sorry; none of them were yours, Mark. You had a lot of good stuff, but like your brother's, they were all around two sentences. I would have abridged, but I can't lie to McSweeney's in good conscience.