2.20.2006

Sincerity

There may be a few people out there who never see me in person or speak to me in semi-person. This is for those people, that they might know what's going on in my life of note.

The two big things: I'm going to New Orleans in March to help with hurricane relief, and I've started helping homeless people in the cities.

On Saturday 12 people in the church group got together, put together some care packages (complete with food, water, hygeine products, gift certificates to McDonalds, Bible, hand warmers, and more!), then went out in three different groups to distribute them to people in need.

My group went to the Lyndale/Hennepin area off 94 near the Basilica. There were a bunch of people down there, and unfortunately we didn't have enough bags with us for everyone, but everyone who got one was very appreciative.

I talked to three people. The first was a man named Robert. He was a Christian and said he was very blessed, though it may not look like it. We invited him to The Rock (our church), and at first he wasn't sure if they'd be open to homeless bums, but we assured him that it's one of the most accepting churches you'll find. "Don't be surprised if you see me there," he said, and I really hope he comes.

Next Nicole and I talked to two people, cousins, Amanda and Tony. Tony was 18 and an alcoholic. Amanda was 26, also an alcoholic, and clearly under the influence of something when we talked to her. Both of them were very interested in treatment, and as soon as we mentioned we were from a church, they asked if we had AA meetings there. (We don't, but we've got something similar that we told them about.) Tony seemed like he was definitely going to call, and hopefully he'll take Amanda. Amanda was just so incoherent that it was hard to get through to her. She was on the verge of tears at one point because she was so appreciative, so hopefully we made a lasting difference.

Some of us are going back this weekend too, and I'd like to go back every weekend. One visit helps, but it doesn't help enough.

I don't want you to think I'm a great person for doing all this stuff, I just want you to know what's going on. So that's that.

No comments: