2.03.2006

A Recap of the Day Preceding This One

Yesterday was Groundhog Day, in case anyone was so ignorant not to notice. I didn't post about it yesterday because I didn't feel like it, which is really a kind of an insult to importance of the day.

It's my second favorite holiday, I guess, even though I never celebrate it and I almost always get pissed that Phil saw his shadow. It's just the concept that I love. A day about a rodent. Who was the genius that thought of that? So I'm inspired to research some Groundhog Day history.

According to Groundhog.org, the tradition dates back to early Christian superstition. But it's this quote that got my attention:

"Groundhog Day, February 2nd, is a popular tradition in the United States. It is also a legend that traverses centuries, its origins clouded in the mists of time with ethnic cultures and animals awakening on specific dates. Myths such as this tie our present to the distant past when nature did, indeed, influence our lives."

"Its origins clouded in the mists of time...." That's funny.

No comments: