9.26.2006

The Mind of Jeshurun

I don't know if any of read Jess's blog, but his latest entry is definitely a fun read. Jess is a pretty creative guy, so he's got a lot of enjoyable ideas on that blog of his.

So this entry is a myth about the creation of alcohol. Myths have always intrigued me but not because I'm interested in the stories. I love them because I always wonder how big the gods are. Like with Promoetheus, the god who brought fire to man, I imagine this 200-ft-tall giant jumping off a cloud and handing a giant torch to a dirty, thick-bearded caveman. Of course the caveman is too small to carry it, so he inadvertently burns his village down. In Jess's story, I imagined this giant Hugh with a giant goblet full of booze just pouring his goblet out on everyone while they stand below with their mouths open. But too much comes down and destroys their civilization and washes them out to sea. That's probably what happened to Atlantis.

Anyway, gods are big, and if I ever met one, I think I'd be really intimidated. And then I'd be crushed like an ant.

No comments: