11.06.2006

Electioneering

Today on my way to work, I saw what is probably one of the most disturbing political ads in history. You know how people stand on freeway bridges to hold up signs for their candidates? On my commute, there were a bunch of Mike Hatch-ies waving signs, one of which said, "If Mike Hatch were governor, you'd be home by now." (Contextual note: this was very near the apartment complex well-known for its sign, "If you lived here, you'd be home by now.")

My own political leanings aside, this is a bit of an outlandish statement. There are a lot of people taking that particular route, and Mike Hatch wants us all to be home there? Or is he trying to say that he'll make it so we don't have to have jobs, and we'd be home by now instead of going to work? I don't get it.

In contrast, I saw two very unenthusiastic people holding Mike Freeman signs on a different bridge. Just two regular signs that said "Mike Freeman" on them. So I've come to the conclusion that freeway campaigning is not very effective. Especially because somebody might get in an accident.


ANOTHER NOTE: My apologies to those of you who come here following a google search for a particular candidate. This blog falls into the "not serious" category, so I can't discuss my serious reasons for favoring certain candidates over others. I suggest you get that information from robots or people who have traveled into the future and back.

6 comments:

christinesfakeblog said...

You probably know this already, but since I learned it this morning I'm going to say it anyway. Apparently Tim Pawlenty vetoed a road plan that was supposed to help with the traffic. The commercial I heard that from also said "If it wasn't for Tim Pawlenty you'd be home/at work by now" (assuming the listeners were in traffic).

My problem with this is doesn't fixing traffic (via road work) temporarily make MORE traffic (temporarily could mean 10+ years, if we're talking 494 type road work)? I'm not in the market of picking a favorite governor or anything, I just don't think his claim of "you'd be home by now" is factual.


NO, I'M CHARLOTTE!!!






ndopwyg

Unspar! said...

I think I'm especially offended by it because I love that apartment complex, and I don't like politics co-opting their phrase.

Anonymous said...

Does that mean that when Mike Hatch becomes governor, we'll all be homeless and living on bridges? I don't like the sound of that!

yxlaq

Anonymous said...

I thought my name would go on the bottom. Like this:

-Dan

But I'm not a negative person. I'd rather call myself +Dan than -Dan!

christinesfakeblog said...

WHEN Mike Hatch becomes governor? That's it. I'm officially going to vote. Just to teach you a little thing about humility.






xnwsgtuy

christinesfakeblog said...

Just kidding. Due to the positive feedback to my blog, I'm definitely not going to vote.







bksomp