11.30.2006

Time Traveling Movie Review

For today's segment, I've decided to travel 16 years into the past to the year 1990 to review a film called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Many of you have probably had a chance to see this film in the 16 years it's been available to the public, but it's a movie that I believe is better reviewed immediately after its release. So here goes.

traveling through time...and back.

3 and a half stars out of 5

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is a movie that knows what it's about and doesn't try to do anything more than that. That reserved effort makes it a success, though it's a limited success. It works well for the kids, but adults can still enjoy its campy humor.

As a fan of the show, there was only one thing that bothered me: Splinter's back story was completely wrong. According to the cartoon, Splinter was a Japanese man who was forced to live in the sewers with a bunch of rats. He was not a rat to begin with. Very uncool.

I appreciated Corey Feldman's presence in the cast. As a time traveling movie reviewer, it reminds me of the golden days of the Coreys. For the audiences of 1990, he was probably too old to still be likable. Their loss, really.

In the present day, I own this movie, but I probably wouldn't buy it if I still lived in 1990. It's cool in a retro way, not an I-like-it-in-the-present-day way.

No comments: