1.24.2007

The Good, the Bad, and the Oscars

This year's Oscar nominations were released yesterday, and in the spirit of placing the garbage on the left and the recylcing on the right, I give you my "good" and "bad" picks.


Mark Wahlberg is nominated for Best Supporting Actor for his portrayal of Officer Sweary McSwearsalot in The Departed: Good

Notes on a Scandal, which has a really stupid title, is nominated for four different awards: Bad

Dreamgirls gets three nominations for Original Song: Good, I guess, but weren't there any other movies with songs this year?

Dreamgirls leads all nominated films with 8 nominations: Bad

Little Miss Sunshine is nominated for Best Picture: Good

I'm still pissed off that Little Miss Sunshine was beaten by Dreamgirls at the Golden Globes: Good; my anger is righteous and justified

Judi Dench is nominated again: Boring

Meryl Streep is also nominated again: Boring, but slightly less so

Peter O'Toole gets what I presume to be his last nomination before he dies: Bad, because he'll probably lose and feel humiliated, plus he got the lifetime achievement award last year, so what's the point?

Leonardo DiCaprio was nominated for his performance in Blood Diamond but not The Departed: Bad. Did the Academy watch all these movies in alphabetical order and fall asleep after Cars?

Adam Sandler's latest epic Click got a nomination: What? I mean, I know it's for makeup, but what?

Both magician movies, The Illusionist and The Prestige, are nominated in the same category: Confusing and redundant

I have seen three of the Best Picture nominees so far this year: And at most I'll only see four of them. You'll never get me to see The Queen.

1 comment:

Fighting Popes said...

I am far too busy to watch movies due to my work schedule but I have an Oscar rule when it comes to watching movies. If a movie wins Best Picture and I haven't already seen it then I refuse to ever watch it.

You think I am missing out? Let's review some of the films that won best picture over the past few years:

2005: Crash: Mediocre
2004: Million Dollar Baby: Who cares?
2003: LOTR: Fortunately already saw it. An anomaly
2002: Chicago: Ouch!
2001: A Beautiful Mind: Ron Howard sucks. This movie was average as best.