12.06.2007

Dead Mouse

Our house has been infested with mice for I don't know how long. Probably since before we moved in. I think they had some mutually benefical arrangement with the past tenants. Not so with us. Even though we haven't been able to do anything about it.

The mouse trap (the only mouse trap) that we've had out for the past two months has produced no results whatsoever. It seemed like the mice were outsmarting us, like they knew we were trying to get them and they knew exactly how to avoid it. It actually makes me respect them a little bit.

Just last night I was going off about that stupid mouse trap. I woke up this morning, walked innocently into the kitchen, made my lunch, and on my way out, I noticed a dead mouse in the middle of my kitchen floor. How I missed it when I walked in or crossed the floor several times, I don't know. But it was there. Dead. Little blood stains and turds around him. This mouse went out with a bang.

What killed him? Corey and I discussed it, and we have our theories. Most likely it was a symbolic killing done by the Colfax Mouse Mafia. At first I thought this was some gallant surrender move, the mouse surrendering to us in his last breath, but that's too simple. You see, most mice would die within the walls, but this job was done to show us roommates that this is just the beginning. The next time it'll be one of us.

No comments: