12.26.2007

Yet Another Fake History of Britain

I've spent approximately the last 8 hours of my day (that's right; I've been at work since 5am) studying up on the legendary and mythical kings of Britain. I have no idea how I got started on this, but I'm about 76 kings into the list. Amazingly, only 12 of those have any shred of historical accuracy. Which, if we were to look at this from a statistical point of view, means only about 16% of this new knowledge is valid.

No joke.

Here's a few interesting things I've learned about British history that may or may not be true:

-Old King Cole, of nursery rhyme, "merry old soul" fame, is in fact a real person who ruled during Rome's occupation of Britain.
-King Arthur was not the first king of Britain, nor was he the second or third.
-While the British try to name a lot of their cities after dead fake-kings or dead people-who-fought-the-fake-kings, the names never seem to match.
-None of the "kings" had to slay dragons to earn or retain their crowns, but one had to fight a monster that emerged from the Irish Sea. He was killed. By the monster.

No comments: