2.29.2008

Strange Bears, Part 3

(Part 2: Koalas)
(Part 1: Pandas)

Capybara

It's hungry...and there must not be any human blood nearby.
I overheard some of you say that the capybara is "definitely not a bear." As a humble blogger, I can neither confirm nor deny that statement, so here are a scientist and a lawyer to discuss with you the validity of this creature's membership in the bear pantheon.

SCIENTIST: Many people believe that the capybara is the world's largest rodent.
LAWYER: But none of them have any evidence to back it up.
SCIENTIST: Quite true. Everyone of these people who I've spoken to have either made vague and inconclusive statements or failed to cite any credible sources.
LAWYER: Sorry, folks. Maybe you shouldn't have wasted all your time in community college.
SCIENTIST: You don't have to be so harsh.
LAWYER: It's tough love. I quip because I care.
SCIENTIST: Very well. So we are hear to offer a vast array of circumstantial evidence to testify to the fact that the capybara is actually a bear.
LAWYER: Circumstantial evidence is the most valid kind of evidence there is.
SCIENTIST: Really?
LAWYER: I'm a lawyer, aren't I?
SCIENTIST: OK. So exhibit A: the capybara is distinctly bear-shaped.
LAWYER: See the above photograph.
SCIENTIST: Exhibit B: the capybara tastes like bear.
LAWYER: Have you eaten a capybara? Or bear for that matter?
SCIENTIST: No. But I'm a nutritionist, so I know these things.
LAWYER: Good enough.
SCIENTIST: Exhibit C: the capybara's attack behaviors are exactly like those of the American grizzly bear.
LAWYER: Here's a picture of it sneaking up on somebody to claw his face off.
The photographer's finger got in the way of the shot, otherwise you could see the fangs.
As you could probably guess, the guy didn't make it.
SCIENTIST: Mmhmm. Very bear-like.
LAWYER: So there you have it. Capybara equals bear.
SCIENTIST: It even almost says "bear" in its name!
LAWYER: Yeah, capy-bear-a.
SCIENTIST: Case dismissed. I mean, case closed.
LAWYER: Hey, I'm supposed to say that.

There you have it. Now maybe you'll know better than to question me when it comes to bear matters.

No comments: