1.09.2008

Too Many Dishes

I arrived home yesterday at about 5:30 after a relatively busy day at work. I was looking forward to a nice dinner of salad and leftover pizza to lead into an evening of relaxation. As I walked into the kitchen, I looked to the sink and discovered that still none of our dishes had been washed, bringing us to Day 9 of a sinkful of dirty dishes.

There were no clean forks.
There were almost no clean cups or glasses, though we have something like 50.
And the frying pan I wanted to use was still dirty from when I used it three days ago.

So I made my salad, reheated my pizza, found something that would suffice as a fork, and sat myself in front of the TV and wasted an hour of my life.

Thankfully, I still had some time to put a dent in the dishes, but I was prepared with a back-up plan should I have spent too much time watching TV. I would make a big sign that said WE'RE SCREWED and put it over the sink. And then I would leave. When I later mentioned that plan to my roommate, he told me that once he saw the sign, he would have turned right around and left the house. He imagined a youngster asking him, "Where ya goin', Mister?" and my roommate's reply, "Anywhere but here."

He would have driven off into the sunset and maybe had some great adventures, but because I did the dishes, he's stuck in Minneapolis for the rest of his life.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, way to go, life ruiner.

On an unrelated note, congratulations to the Timberwolves, winners of their fifth game of the season last night. Five more, and they might even reach double-digit wins this year!

chris said...

things like this remind me of how awesome it is to have a dishwasher. and i'm not talking about jerksica, ba-dum ching!