5.15.2008

The Dog and the Restaurant: Part 3

Portland burst into tears. She realized now that she would never cease to smell like tacos, and therefore would very likely never hold a job in this world either.

"Don't cry, little doggie," Ben said.
"But now I'll never get a job."
"Come now, that's nonsense. A talking dog can get any kind of job he or she would want!"
"She."
"You're a she?"
"Yes."
"You don't sound like it."
"Do I sound like I eat garbage?"
"What?"
She started crying again.

Once she calmed down, Ben discovered that she came from Narnia. At first Ben was skeptical, thinking that this random computer-traveling, taco-smelling talking dog was some kind of promotion for the new Narnia movie. Portland promptly dismissed that idea by peeing on Ben's shirt.

"So why are you here?" Ben asked.
"I need to get a job," Portland replied. "No one would ever hire me because I smell like tacos."
"Not to mention you're a dog."
"Do people not hire dogs in your world?"
"I think maybe, but the economy's really bad, and nobody really likes tacos--"
"Could you help me find a job??!!"
"Um, well..."
"Oh great! Thank you, Aslan!"

After stops at several neighborhood Taco Bells that were not willing to hire a talking dog, Ben took Portland to the one Tex-Mex place where it would make perfect sense to see a dog working: Don Pablo's. Portland was hired the moment they walked into the restaurant.

"What kind of work can I do?" Portland asked.
"What do you think we'd have a talking dog do?" said the Don Pablo's manager. "Answer the phones!"

THE END.

1 comment:

Jes GIlman said...

Thank you again Ben, it was beautiful.