6.28.2006

Beyond the Boundaries of Portugal

In my Chicago adventures, I went to the world-famous Art Institute of Chicago. Thankfully I found the modern European galleries right away so that I didn't have to waste my time with crap. While I enjoyed seeing the work of my homies, particularly Constantin Brancusi, Joan Miro, and Alberto Giacometti, I also discovered an awesome unheard of Protugese artist by the name of Amadeo de Souza Cardoso.

Examples:

Portugese women are all circles and triangles.

It's a bunny rabbit.


This isn't another leap forward in my cultural elitism (who knows; I may start claiming to be part Portugese); it's a reminder that we ought not forget Portugal. They were the first people to sail around the world, they illegalized bull killing in bullfighting, and now they had an artist nearly 100 years ago that will not be soon forgot again.

1 comment:

al said...

Amadeo has it going on.



ntwuabfc