6.09.2006

Not Quite Written in Stone

By the end of the day, my Peace Corps application will be submitted.

I've been thinking a lot about jobs and stuff, and I realized (thanks very recently to the one and only Dan Waller) that what you do is very much a part of what you are. Dan is an engineer. His identity has a lot to do with engineering. It is not everything he is, but it is a lot. It is part of his life. He cares about it. Engineering.

In the same way, I am not a whatever-it-is-I-do. I don't enjoy it. I don't want it to have anything to do with who I am. So it's time I move on. If life is about what you do, if what you do is all that matters, and I believe that, then I need to start doing something of value. For me, that begins with the Peace Corps.

Countdown to me leaving: 9 months.

4 comments:

Jes GIlman said...

I have a new blog. It's called The Mind of Jeshurun.

Unspar! said...

Donde esta?

Anonymous said...

Sweet, there's a me-reference in your blog!

-LQ (or "Dan Waller" since that caused some confusion over at the Blogulator)

Unspar! said...

Note to posterity: How misguided was I in this post? Very misguided.