4.28.2006

Cricket

Nuts to Yaris day.

I spent the last two days at work researching cricket for no reason. It's the most confusing sport ever, and I decided to deconfusify myself. Now it's no longer confusing; it's just boring.

I assume none of you know what cricket's about, so I'll explain it to you. There's this field, and all the action is on one little strip (called the pitch) in the middle of the field. On the pitch there's a dude who throws the ball (though he's not allowed to throw it as normal people throw; he can't bend his elbow), a dude who tries to hit it, a dude who catches it if the batter misses, and another dude who's just there to spice things up. The batter's, or batsman's, fate depends on whether or not the ball (or anything else, really) can knock loose a plank or two that's resting on the poles behind him. If those planks go, the batsman is out. And this goes on until ten batters of the eleven-person team are out. Then the next team is up and goes ten batters.

In traditional cricket, they go through this rotation twice, each team getting the ten-batter round, and it takes up to five days. Five days for one game. And I thought baseball was boring.

4 comments:

christinesfakeblog said...

Actually that sounds kind of fun

Unspar! said...

I recently discovered that this game is impossibly high scoring. Upwards of 500 points per team. That makes it interesting.

Anonymous said...

Just so you know, my whole team name is supposed to be "The Sultans of Cricketopia".

-Fasthands

Jes GIlman said...

Does it really surprise you though? I mean...this is coming from the people who drive on the wrong side of the road.