4.03.2006

Why Am I Not Surprised?

More and more the Peace Corps does not seem like something I should do. I've been reading today about the work volunteers typically do, and it seems like I'd be there with an air of superiority and as a means for development in areas that I don't care about (specifically economics). I'd be making an important difference, but perhaps that's not the kind of difference I want to make.

The things that attracted/are still attracting me to it are the interaction with a completely different culture, which I believe is necessary for me to experience, and the living of a very basic, nearly ascetic life. For the former, I have to go abroad at some point. For the latter, I could just as easily sell all my worldly belongings as run away from them, and perhaps that's the real challenge.

As I've thought and prayed about this, the one thing I've been most stuck on is my relationships with and responsibilities to others. There's so much that happens in two years that I feel like I wouldn't know anyone when I got back. Their--your--lives would go in so many different directions, as would mine, that I'd worry we'd be on such different levels. I've grown with you all so much in the last however-long we've known each other, and it troubles me to walk out of that.

The PC is not not an option, but I am postponing my application. Maybe someday I'll figure something out.

Coming soon: more funny stuff.

2 comments:

christinesfakeblog said...

yeah, pretty much the same deal.

Anonymous said...

Ya two years is a long time, and that sucks, but I realize I'm usually away anyway, and it's often the same when I go home, which rocks. A lot of events pass, people change hair color, but they're still the same when we're together again, it's just missing them hurts sometimes but I'm getting used to it...

And Mark you suck. And by suck I mean rock. And also a little suck. But I like you anyway.