8.03.2006

Changing My Name

It's been clear for a couple years now that my theme song is "My Name Is Jonas" by Weezer. I have a box full of your toys, my little brother sends me letters full of concerns about the building, and I often invite people to come sit next to me and pour themselves some tea. But there's always been one thing standing in the way of accepting this as my true anthem: my name is not Jonas.

I don't think I could change my name to Jonas. It's a thought I'll have to throw around for the next year or two before I can be sure, but it's doubtful. Not that I like the name Ben--I've never liked the name Ben; it sounds funny--but name changes are just so inauthentic. So I think I'll just have to name one of my kids Jonas. Then I can rock out when he's in the car singing, "His name is Jonas," and really annoy him and his friends.

5 comments:

mrs. r said...

thanks Ben, I was throwing around the idea of some day naming a son of mine Benjamin - I like the name, but now this totally undermines my confidence in it...

Unspar! said...

Actually, my name is just Ben, not Benjamin. So you can still have confidence in Benjamin as a name and Ben as a nickname. Don't use Jonas, though; that's taken.

mrs. r said...

why don't you like the name Ben, anyway? Do you wish you were a Benjamin? or just anything different? I've never been all that crazy about Ann, but I can't really think of another name that I would prefer to be called. At least mrs. r is working for me now, that's not so bad...

Unspar! said...

It just sounds funny. I don't know. I guess I don't get it. Ben? I don't get it.

Anonymous said...

I lived with a kid named Jonas in New Zealand. He was German. We sang that song to him every day. God I miss Jonas! What a great guy. Must be the name.

PS too bad you're sick. Good thing it's Saturday. Hahaha! Just kidding, poor Ben. Have faith, Monday will make you feel better (it better not RAIN!!!)