8.01.2006

Point/Counterpoint: Naps

There's nothing better than a good nap.
I like to nap. It refreshes the soul whenever the soul needs refreshing. One of my favorite things about napping is that you can nap anytime you want. You can nap in the morning, the afternoon, or the evening, and each naptime is just as good as the rest. You don't have to be tired to nap, either. You can just nap and feel good about it. I nap pretty much every day, and it's easily the highlight. I carry around a nap mat or a cot in case the need to nap hits me while I'm on the street. If I have to, I nap when I'm driving, and thanks to the new nap safety features in some cars, I always make it home fine. I don't think I could live without napping. Society just needs to be more open to napping, too. Have naptime in the office, set up mandatory nap stops on the highways, even open a napper's rights committee. Equal naps for all.

If you sleep, you're lazy.
There's too much work to be done to find time to sleep. Sometimes I can squeeze in 3 or 4 hours at night, but napping? Are you crazy? I have to do the grocery shopping, take the kids to school, bake a cake for my sister's birthday, visit the rock climbing wall, settle my debts with the mob, paint three or four masterpieces, pick the kids up from school, make love with the spouse, fix the electricity for the whole neighborhood, read the Weekly World News, make sure the black market smuggling and ivory dealing ring are still prospering, and maybe watch a movie. And even if I could fit a nap in there, I wouldn't. I'd rather take the dog for a walk, or build an addition to the house, or try to assassinate Fidel Castro, or experiment with controlled substances to help me stay awake longer. Sleep is for the weak. A wise man once said, "I'll sleep when I'm dead," but why start then?

6 comments:

Tracey said...

You have quite a loverly blog. Thanks for letting me look around. You don't mind, right? Cool.

Unspar! said...

WELCOME! HOORAY!

mrs. r said...

hmm, I would say my position is positively pro-nap. I think that we all could benefit from some more sleep during the day - but only a little bit, too much and it ruins your ability to go to bed at a decent hour.

now I really do sound like an old married woman....

chris said...

what's flipper's take on this? don't dolphins sleep with their eyes open?

al said...

How well you've captured man's second greatest interior struggle!


cwvuk

Kevin Sawyer said...

As much as I love naps, I have to agree with Ann. Come 11:00p, when I'm looking for some much needed shut-eye, I feel like I'm in some sort of cocaine haze.

And the next morning, do you think my body gives me credit for that 90 minute nap I took? Oh, no.

Now you've got me started.