8.11.2006

God in the Movies

My church is gonna start a series on "God in the Movies" in a couple months. They're doing a big ad campaign, so it's a big deal. Yay church!

However, if I were in charge of church, and for what I'm about to write we can thank everyone in every area of influence that I'm not, I would have chosen some different movies. Like...

The Blues Brothers: They're on a mission from God. What else do you have to say?

Lawrence of Arabia: The man thinks he is God. That's...blasphemy. But blasphemy is a God-related concept.

2001: A Space Odyssey: I could definitely BS something about God from this abstract adventure. I could also probably BS something about Vietnam, industrialized coal mining, or the social behavior of bees, but that's beside the point.

Brokeback Mountain: Ummmm...let's not.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail: God sends the knights on a quest, but they keep getting into trouble. Is that because man is inept or because God is a cosmic practical joker? Neither. If you haven't seen the movie, I won't give away the correct answer, but I will tell you this: it has something to do with the French.

There will, however, be talks on Cinderella Man, Batman Begins, and like two more that I keep forgetting. While they might not be as good as talks on the above films, they'll still have some good stuff. Or whatever. I don't know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cinderella Man? Batman Begins? Did your church just look at the new release section at Blockbuster? Seems like there are more spiritual movies to pick from, say, Every Which Way But Loose or White Comanche.

Those are chock full of godliness.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget Ape Canyon