7.12.2006

The Interview

The straightforward, unfunny explanation of what happened between the hours of 10 and 12 on 7/11.

The interview was almost exactly the same as any other interview. Questions included stuff like, "tell us about a frustrating experience and how you dealt with it" and "what's one successful leadership experience you've had" and so on. There were a few questions about what I might have concerns about in terms of being in a foreign country/culture and different customs, but I didn't have any concerns, so that was kind of boring.

Then they took my fingerprints, so I had red junk all over my fingers all day.


The big updates: where I will be and what I will be doing.

The where is not resolved at all. He only said that the teaching English programs are mostly in Eastern Europe and Asia, so those are likely options.

The what is similarly unresolved. Though I went into it expecting that I'd be teaching English, the interview kind of made it clear that I'd be just as good--if not better--for the community development program. So I have to decide between those two and get back to the Peace Corps guy at the end of the week. And right now, I have no idea.

4 comments:

mrs. r said...

so are you for sure in and the interview was a formality, or is there still a decision to be made on their part?

Unspar! said...

I'm technically for sure in as of the interview. BUT here's what I don't get. The next step is nomination to a program, and I get the impression that other people are nominated to the same program. So I'm up against more competition than I expected. I think they'll keep nominating me until I get into one, but I don't know exactly how it works. So there's still a decision to be made, nothing's concrete, but I feel like I'm more than tentatively in.

mrs. r said...

do they only have a limited number of spots to give out at a time, or are they able to place everyone that comes looking for something to do for 2 years?
do you know when you would be leaving, or does that depend on the program you get into?
Ben, I think we just found the topic of our next conversation! Sweet!

Unspar! said...

I'll look for you on Friday! Wooo dialogue!