7.17.2006

Rational Love

I was reading the Wikipedia entry on Revenge of the Sith, and I discovered a link to the entry on Romantic love. I guess I'm not surprised that it made Wikipedia (though maybe I am a little surprised that it was linked in a Star Wars article), but it's interesting to see what the encyclopedia editors have to say. The part I really dig is the list of principles of love. They are:

1. It must take you by surprise (the result of a random encounter).
2. It cannot be easily controlled.
3. It is not overtly (initially at least) predicated on a desire for sex as a physical act.
4. If requited it may be the basis for a lifelong commitment.


I think The Notebook pretty much refutes every one of these. But good try, Wikipedia.

Also, this entry is apparently part of a series on love. My favorite is the one on Puppy love, which says, "Puppy love is an informal term for feelings of love between young people, especially during adolescence, so-called for its resemblance to the affection that may be felt towards a puppy."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Wikipedia is awesome. They even have entries for "bottle", "punctuality", and "the".

-LQ

arpjij